Monday, July 26, 2010

Menu Plan Monday











An important part of saving money is definitely getting a handle on our food menu. I have participated in Menu Plan Monday in the past from Laura's blog I'm An Organizing Junkie, and it definitely helped me not only save money, but it helped me save time. I often was totally overwhelmed after work and wondered what we should have for dinner. I would often stop at the store to pick up an ingredient or two. Menu planning really takes a lot of that load off.



MONDAY

Taco salads for the grown ups and tacos for the teenager and cinnamon crisps for desert.

TUESDAY

Slow cooker pot roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn on the cob. Cherry jello for desert.

WEDNESDAY

Creamy Italian tuna pasta salad


THURSDAY

Roast beef and gravy (using leftovers from slow cooker pot roast) over rye bread and green leaf lettuce salad.

FRIDAY

Beef enchiladas and cheese enchiladas (using leftover beef from the pot roast).

SATURDAY

Veggie Pizza

SUNDAY

Leftover round up

4 comments:

  1. mm the cinnamon crisps sound yummy too. can I come over tuesday for dinner? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crisps really are amazing and a good option for a cookie kind of treat. My son loves them. I buy tortillas through our food co-op, and there are always way too many to use even with freezing. This has become our other option. We've done them with Parmesan cheese instead of cinnamon sugar, and they really taste great too. Thanks again for stopping by. By the way your hair cut is adorable. I wish I had a hair dresser for a sister in law. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like cooking a roast and using it several different days, too. And I especially like picking up a rotisserie chicken after a day of substitute teaching. My husband and I can make 3 meals out of it, the last one being homemade chicken soup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those rotisserie chickens!

    I love stretching a meal into three or more too. I have learned to stretch most chicken recipes now into at least three meals and either soup or soup stock depending. Last month, whole chickens were going for as cheap as 38 cents a pound. We ate two lemon chicken http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/roastchickenwit.shtml (I had never roasted a chicken before and it was amazing) one night and then tore all the chicken off afterward which was used in garlic chicken lettuce wraps another, and Italian pasta salad with chicken the last meal. I also found a great recipe for soup stock and boiled the carcass. It made about half a gallon. We froze most of the stock, and used part to make soup. It has been great as a soup starter and even a base for the crock pot roast I made yesterday.

    ReplyDelete